Field Crop Classes – Classes 1 to 43
1. Up to two approved exhibits from each county will be accepted.
2. Only one entry per exhibitor/farm entity per class is permitted. Variety is not to be named.
3. A hay or straw exhibit must consist of one 4″ flake, machine baled, in a polyethylene bag, identified with two entry tags, one on the inside of the bag and one tied securely on the outside of the bag. Samples must be cut to fit in plastic hay bags supplied by Ottawa Valley Seed Growers. Large bale samples must be cut to a similar size
4. Approved hay and silage exhibitors for the championship show may use new samples to assure freshness.
5. All entries must be untreated in order to display their natural colour. This rule does not apply to hay and silage Classes 22 to 36, 42, 43, 108 and 109.
Prize money in Class 1-40 – $30, $28, $26, $24, $22, $21, $20, $19, $18, $17 (10 prizes)
Class 1 Oats – 2.5 kg
Class 2 Hulless Oats – 2.5 kg
Class 3 Barley – 2 row, 2.5 kg
Class 4 Barley – 6 row, 2.5 kg
Class 5 Malt Barley – 2.5 kg – provide Verified Malt Quality Certification
Class 6 Spring Wheat – 2.5 kg
Class 7 Soft Winter Wheat – 2.5 kg
Class 8 Hard Winter Wheat – 2.5 kg
Class 9 Sunflowers – 2.5 kg
Class 10 Rye – 2.5 kg
Class 11 Buckwheat – 2.5 kg
Class 12 Field Peas – 2.5 kg
Class 13 Forage Peas – 2.5 kg
Class 14 Soybeans – 2.5 kg
Class 15 White Field Beans – 2.5 kg
Class 16 Coloured Field Beans – 2.5 kg
Class 17 Canola – 2.5 kg
Class 18 Red Clover – 2.5 kg
Class 19 Birdsfoot Trefoil – 2.5 kg
Class 20 Timothy – 2.5 kg
Class 21 Alfalfa – 2.5 kg
Class 22 First Cut Alfalfa – 85% or more alfalfa
Class 23 First Cut Legume other than alfalfa 85% or more legume
Class 24 First Cut Legume and Grass 70% and 30% either way.
Class 25 First Cut Grass 85% or more grass
Class 26 Second Cut Alfalfa or other Legume 85% or more legume
Class 27 Second Cut Mixed Legume and Grass 80% and 20% either way.
Class 28 Large Square or Round Bale Hay 1st Cut
Class 29 Large Square or Round Bale Hay 2nd Cut
Class 30A Flake of Straw
Class 30B Chopped Straw
Class 31A Haylage 1st cut – 2.5 kg
Class 31B Haylage 2nd, 3rd or 4th cut – 2.5kg (cut to be identified on tag)
Class 32 Baled Haylage 1st cut – 2.5 kg
Class 33 Baled Haylage 2nd, 3rd or 4th cut – 2.5 kg (Cut to be indicated on tag)
Class 34A Oat, Barley and/or Rye Silage – 2.5 kg
Class 34B Forage Soybeans – 2.5 kg *NEW CLASS in 2021
Class 35 Corn Silage, Processed – 2.5 kg
Class 36 Corn Silage, Not Processed – 2.5 kg
Class 37 Grain Corn – 10 ears
Class 38 Shelled Corn – 2.5 kg
Class 39 Potatoes – 10 tubers, table stock
Class 40 Special Shelled Corn Bin Class – 2.5 kg random unaltered bin sample
Prize money in Class 41 – 1st-$80, 2nd-$60, 3rd-$50, any other worthy exhibit $30
Class 41 Best Sheaf of Cereal Grain
- Sheaf may be constructed of Oat, Barley, Wheat or Rye plants.
- Sheaf must be mounted to be self-standing.
- No exhibitor may make more than one entry per kind, ie. one sheaf of Oats and one sheaf of Barley, but not two sheaves of Oats.
Prize money in Class 42, 43A and 43B – 1st-$80, 2nd-$55, 3rd-$30, 4th-$25, 5th-$20, 6th-$15, any other worthy exhibit $10
Class 42 OTTAWA VALLEY HAY AND HAYLAGE QUALITY CLASSES
- Two Classes:
- 42A – Hay
- 42B – Haylage *NEW CLASS in 2021
- Competition open to two exhibits maximum, one exhibit per exhibitor/farm entity, per county, in the Ottawa Valley Seed Growers Association region.
- An exhibit for competition consists of one machine baled flake of hay, or 2.5 kg sample of haylage, with the cut indicated – 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
- All entries must be made only by your county SCIA appointed Director.
- Samples will be tested by the Ottawa Valley Harvestore testing machine and ready for display on Tuesday, March 9, 2021.
- Prize money will be awarded according to points on an official score card.
Class 43 SPECIAL EXPORT HAY COMPETITION
- Two classes:
- 43A – 1st cut square bale
- 43B – 2nd cut square bale
- Competition open to maximum 4 bales per county in the Ottawa Valley Seed
Growers Region, ie. maximum of two exhibits in 43A-1st cut and two exhibits in 43B-2nd cut per county
- Samples will be judged for export by weight and quality.
- An exhibit for competition consists of one complete square bale of hay.
Any changes to this prize list will be updated by January 15, 2021, and posted on our web site at
www.ottawafarmshow.com and will take precedence over this prize list.
If you have questions, or require more information, contact your county SCIA appointed Director.
Or contact Arlene Ross, OVSGA Secretary-Treasurer