4-H CLASSES – 100 to 126
1. Open to any 2017 4-H member in Eastern Ontario or Western Quebec within the area outlined in Rule 2 of General Rules & Regulations on page 1.
2. Each exhibit in Classes 100 to 109 inclusive must be sampled and prepared by the 4-H member and must be grown in 2017.
3. A 4-H member may enter only one exhibit per class.
4. A 4-H member may exhibit from either the county in which the member paid their 2017 4-H Ontario membership fee or from the county where the project was completed.
5. The new Canadian 4-H emblem (in 4-H green) must be located on the front of posters and exhibits. A copy can be down-loaded from the 4-H Ontario web site www.4-hontario.ca.
6. All posters and exhibits must have exhibitor’s name, age (as of January 1, 2017), club, and county printed on the back of the poster.
7. If, in the opinion of the judge, an exhibit is not worthy of first place, a prize worthy of the entry will be awarded.
8. No variety names are to be stated on any entries shown in classes 100-109.
9. All identification from previous competitions must be removed.
10. Exhibits must have completed OVSGA tags attached.
11. Display of 4-H lifeskills exhibits at the Ottawa Valley Farm Show will be based on available space and exhibit quality, and at the discretion of the Championship Show Committee.
Prize money in Class 100-109 – $25, $23, $21, $19, $17, $15, any other worthy entry $10.
Class 100 Potatoes – 10 tubers
Class 101 Oats – 2 kg
Class 102 Beans (any variety) – 2 kg
Class 103 Barley – 6 row, 2 kg
Class 104 Spring Wheat – 2 kg
Class 105 Winter Wheat – 2 kg
Class 106 Soybeans – 2 kg
Class 107 Grain Corn – 10 ears
Class 108 1st Cut Legume and Grass 4″ flake. 70 percent and 30 percent either way.
Class 109 2nd Cut Mixed Legume and Grass 4″ flake. 80 percent and 20 percent either way.
Classes 110 to 122 – Two divisions in each class.
Junior (14 years & under) and Senior (15 years & over) as of January 1, 2017.
Must specify on the entry form if exhibitor is a Junior or a Senior.
Class 110 Poster, size approx 22″ x 28″ relating to a specific 4-H project completed in 2017
Class 111 “ME” poster – a collection of photos/pictures and a hand or type-written one page (8.5” x11”) article telling about yourself, mounted on bristol board (size approx 22″ x 28)
Class 112 Poster of Photography – a collection of 8 – 10 photos, of “Your Club in Action”.
Mounted and labelled (approx 22″ x 28″)
Class 113 Collection of 10 actual weed specimens pressed, labelled and identified – in a book or as a poster (approx 22″ x 28″). Weeds as identified in the Canadian Weed Seed Order.
Class 114 Collection of 10 actual crop seeds labelled and identified – in a book or as a poster (approx 22″ x 28″)
Class 115 Poster (approx 22” x 28”) Promoting youth involvement at 4-H events
Ie. EastGen Showcase, Leadership Camp, Achievement Day, etc.
Class 116 Any item – Something NEW from Something OLD
Class 117 Any article of woodworking – not from a kit
Class 118 Any article of sewing
Class 119 Any craft item
Class 120 Any item of Stitchery (knitting, crocheting, quilting, cross-stitching, etc.)
Class 121 One Page from a Scrapbook
Class 122 A 4-H Project Book (standard size 1” binder or duo-tang) related to any 4-H project completed during the 2017 Club Year
Prize money in Class 123 – 1st-$45, 2nd-$35, 3rd-$25, any other worthy exhibit $15.
Class 123 Artistic Display
- Two divisions
› Junior 9 to 14 years of age (as of January 1, 2017)
› Senior 15 years of age and over (as of January 1, 2017)
- Depict a topic related to 4-H using seeds, grains and field crop materials.
- Display must be mounted on plywood with size not to exceed 15” by 15” (37cm by 37cm) by 1.5” (4cm). Oversize exhibits will be disqualified.
- The materials used do not have to be produced by the exhibitor but must be produced in Ontario. Entries in this class do not have to be shown at an achievement day before coming to this Championship Show.
- Will be scored on: Creativity = 50%, Materials = 35%, Neatness = 15%
Prize money in Class 124 and 125 – 1st-$30, 2nd-$25, 3rd-$20, any other worthy exhibit $15
Class 124 4-H Club Exhibit
- Open to any 4-H Club.
- Exhibits displayed at fairs or exhibitions in 2017 are eligible for this class.
- Tables which are 72″ x 30″ will be provided for the displays.
- Exhibit not to exceed 42 inches in height and should be free standing.
- The exhibit is to be educational in nature.
- The exhibit must be prepared by two or more members of the same club.
Class 125 4-H Member Exhibit
- Topic related to 4-H project completed in 2017.
- Exhibit should not exceed 42 inches in height and should be free standing.
Class 126 Best Sheaf of Cereal Grain (to be judged together with entries from open class 41)
- Sheaf may be constructed of Oat, Barley, Wheat or Rye plants.
- Sheaf must be mounted to be self-standing.
- No exhibitor may make more than one entry per kind, ie. one sheaf of Oats and one sheaf of Barley, but not two sheaves of Oats.
- Prize money will be awarded per class 41.
Any changes to this prize list will be updated by February 15, 2018, and posted on our web site at www.ottawafarmshow.com and will take precedence over this prize list.
If you have questions, or require more information, contact your county SCIA appointed Director.
Or contact Arlene Ross, OVSGA Secretary-Treasurer